The Australian Olympic Committee’s executive board held a crisis meeting on Wednesday evening in response to a formal complaint made against media director Mike Tancred.
In a statement, the AOC Executive said it had “agreed to delegate the determination of the complaint to an independent committee with appropriate experience and ability, and the committee will comprise three senior counsel or retired judges, including at least one female”.
“The committee will be asked to inform the Executive of their determination within one month of their appointment.”
Mr Tancred temporarily stood down from his role ahead of the meeting, despite denying bullying allegations against him.
He will stand aside until the resolution of a complaint made against him by ex-AOC chief executive Fiona de Jong.
It comes amid an increasingly bitter contest for the AOC presidency, with incumbent John Coates facing a challenge for the first time since taking the role 27 years ago.
Olympic hockey gold medallist Danni Roche is challenging Coates with a vote to be held on May 6 at the AOC’s annual general meeting.
Ms De Jong has lodged a formal complaint alleging Tancred threatened her after she quit from her job last year.
Mr Tancred on Wednesday rejected Ms de Jong’s claims.
“I deny all the allegations made against me,” he told AAP.
“I have made no comment to any of the allegations because I am bound by a confidentially agreement which I signed.
“Ms de Jong also signed that agreement but breached it over the weekend.”
Several former AOC staffers have also alleged harassment from Tancred while working at the organisation, which he has denied.